Sunday, September 19, 2010

MMA FIGHTER!!!

Hey guys I stepped (WAY) out of my comfort zone on Friday. There was one last thing I had to do before my training break and it was making my MMA debut last Friday night.
I am not about to join the UFC, but I do cross train in BJJ as well as submission grappling and have done some boxing. I have wondered for a long time how I would go in MMA and when I was offered this fight and realised it didn't get in the way of my Olympic training I thought I should give it a shot.

I was the semi-main event of the Style Wars card and fought against Rob Pryde from Numurkah Muay Thai.
I was able to get the fight to the ground pretty quick with a big double leg take down. From there I worked some ground and pound until my opponent gave up his back. From there I locked in a rear naked choke and he tapped out at the 2 minute mark of the fight.
It was a crazy adrenaline rush after that and felt unbelievable given how much training and competing i've done lately. The relief that I could go on my break on a win was an awesome feeling. I am not sure if and when I will fight MMA again because my dream of getting to the Olympics far outweighs my curiosity in MMA.

From here I will have 2 weeks off to re-introduce myself to my family as well as catching up on uni and work. From there I will begin my training block in preparation for the Samoa World Cup, Korea World Cup, Japan Grand Slam and China Grand Prix in November-December. These events are all Olympic Qualifiers so with some good preparation and solid performances I could be well on my way to London 2012 by Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment