Monday, September 13, 2010

World Judo Championships 2010

Hi guys quick update on what's been up with me. I am in Narita Airport about to fly home from the World Judo Championships. I left home 3 weeks ago bound for Miami where I contested the Miami World Cup and US Open. I lost first round in the World Cup which was disappointing because I fought well below my best and could easily have won a few fights. At the US Open I was really sick with tonsilitis and felt horrible but I managed to fight pretty well and win 3 contests ending up in 7th place.
From there we (Aus Team) travelled to Tsukuba University in Japan for a training camp in preparation for Worlds. The camp was pretty hard because there was 12 nations basing themselves at Tsukuba before worlds. Training with Japan, Russia, Portugal, Greece etc was hard but perfect preparation for Worlds.
At Worlds I was able to submit my first opponent with a choke and my second with an armlock. In the round of 32 I lost to the world number 9 from Slovenia by getting thrown for Ippon (full point) and that eliminated me from the competition. Making the top 32 got me 40 valuable points towards Olympic Qualification.
All in all I won 5 fights and lost 5 fights all against world class opposition and was competitive in all so I am very happy with my progress.

Now I have to fly home and rest for a couple of days before my MMA debut on Friday night against Rob Pryde on the Style Wars card. It's very exciting for me to get a chance to test my skills in a new environment and I feel in the best shape ever so I am confident of a strong result.

That's all from me.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of good information in your posting, I would like to tweet your blog post so I can visit again in the near future.

    Martial Art Schools

    ReplyDelete